Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Burgoyne Surrounded

This recent finish started out as a mystery! My friend, Louise Pankiewicz, taught a mystery workshop at our weekend retreat in March. She's a great teacher and pretty sneaky! Burgoyne Surrounded is a complicated block, and one that I might not choose on my own. It was a brilliant idea to turn it into a mystery. It's not so bad, one step at a time.
 

With all the cutting done in advance, I was able to complete the top in a day.


This is the quilt I was working on when I sliced my thumb with the rotary cutter and ended up in the emergency room. That one drop of blood came out easily with some hydrogen peroxide. I usually trim with scissors after basting. I don't know what made me grab the rotary cutter that night.


 I went to a Modern Quilt Guild meeting in early July and realized I didn't have any completed projects for show & tell. So I came home and quilted this pretty top.


The backing is a beautiful V&Co Simply Color print that I've had for a while. 
 

The binding had to be scrappy. I dug through my bin of leftover bindings and found plenty of blues and greens. I'm happy to have this sweet quilt finished.


If you're curious about the history of Burgoyne Surrounded, click here. I grew up in upstate New York, and I have visited the Saratoga Battlefield several times. It's a beautiful location on the Hudson River.


Burgoyne Surrounded
39" X 57"
Pieced 3/5/16
Basted 4/2/16
Quilted 7/9/16
Bound 7/10/16

7 comments:

Debbie said...

This turned out lovely - perfect fabric colors. it's all so soothing!

Dora, the Quilter said...

I love Burgoyne Surrounded quilts, and have never before seen one in your colorway. It's beautiful and peaceful (as well as "pieceful"). Congratulations on your finish.

Robby said...

I saw 'Burgoyne Surrounded' and was expecting some stuffy old quilt like all the other times I've seen this design. Boy was I wrong! This is gorgeous, it sort of screams take a relaxing summer nap on me. Beautifully done.

Sandi said...

Love the colours you chose, and the scrappy binding enjoy!

margaret said...

this is beautiful love the delicacy of the colours and to have made the blocks in a day very impressed. Re the blood a quick way to get it out is to spit on it! does not sound nice but it works do not know why it has to be the spit of the person whose blood it is does not work with anyone elses!

Barb said...

lovely!

Unknown said...

simple and useful Thanx...
outsource invoice processing services